Legal Assistant/ Law Clerk (Litigation)
Toronto, ON | Temporary
Our Client, a public service transportation provider, is looking for a Legal Assistant/ Law Clerk(Litigation) to start immediately.
Hours: 35 hour work week, Monday to Friday – 1 hour unpaid lunch
Contract: 1-2 months
Location: Toronto – Yonge and Eglinton area
Must have a clear criminal record
Pay Rate: $18.00 +/hour
• Reporting to two lawyers within the Legal Department, you will be responsible for performing a variety of legal administrative functions and providing direct administrative assistance to two assigned solicitors
• Duties involve drafting pleadings and correspondence, drafting consent motion records and carrying out general litigation procedures within prescribed time limits in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure
• Carrying out special assignments as directed; preparing a variety of legal documents, correspondence, reports and other materials
• Arranging meetings, discoveries and other hearings
• Monitoring and maintaining the progression of litigation files including discoveries, mediations, trials and arbitrations and performing a variety of other administrative functions for the Legal Department.
• Responsible for treating employees with respect and dignity and ensuring the needs of employees with disabilities are accommodated and/or addressed (if applicable and within their area of responsibility) in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders so that they can fully benefit from the company as a service-provider and an employer
• Comprehensive knowledge of legal/office administration, concepts, practices, methods, procedures and equipment as well as research methods and techniques
• Enrolment in or completion of a post-secondary education in a law clerk and/or legal administrative certificate/diploma program or the equivalent combined with broad work experience in a similar or related legal environment
• Must have a minimum of 2 to 5 years’ experience as a legal assistant or law clerk, preferably in the area of insurance defence litigation
• Must have excellent administrative and typing skills and be proficient in the use of a PC and computer applications related to the work
• Good knowledge of legal terminology and procedures involved in the progression of civil actions
• Must be detail oriented and possess sound judgment, well-developed interpersonal skills and
• Must have excellent organizational abilities to prioritize several work assignments simultaneously and meet critical time requirements
• Must have or rapidly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the Ontario Human Rights Code and Related Orders including disability accommodation and accessibility requirements pertaining to passengers and employees
Click “Apply on line” or send your resume by email to ADEresume@bagg.com; please indicate the job title in the subject line.
Accommodations are available upon request to support your participation during all stages of the recruitment process